Monday, June 30, 2008

Saying good-bye is never easy








They say that good friends are friends forever and I know that will remain true to the Baldwin family and ours. These last 3 years have brought our children and Becky and I as close as family. And since we all hail from the Seattle area, who knows maybe there is some blood relation there somewhere. Living the military life as a child was hard, but you knew you would always make new friends. Now as an adult, acquaintances are more likely and friends are harder to find. A friend is someone that can count on you as well as counting on them. It's not only listening but being listened to. It's telling you NOT to buy the turquoise top in The Limited because it has too many ruffles and makes you look bigger than you already are. It's being there when you have babies, have migraines, have melt downs and everything in between. Becky brought me one of the meals after my Mom passed away and I'll always remember how nice it was. It's coming over for dinner when our husbands are both away flying. It's stopping thru the Starbucks drive through and picking up an extra coffee for your friend who you know will smile when you surprise her. It's trying to stick with a one a month pizza night from Fatty P's and B's, where we tried grilling pizza and making home made dough. But, mostly it's about spending time with another soul who understands you, makes you laugh, encourages you, and shares common bonds. Life moves more quickly now that I am older and the friendships I make now, going through the challenging times in my life, are treasures. I always seem to look to the future all the time for something better to come along, a better car, a better house, a great vacation, a future time when the kids will all just get along and stop fighting, etc.... But I think it's important to stop and look at what is right in front of you and appreciate everything you have, b/c before you know it, the wheel of time has turned and 5 years are gone and so is the best friend you've had in a LONG time. On your trip north Becky, I hope you know how much you will be missed. I may not show it, but sometimes I have a gooey middle.


2 comments:

Princess Jen said...

*bitter sweet hugs!!!*
Know how you feel... *sob!*

Anne said...

Jackie this blog brought tears to my eyes!